The Constituency-Level Elections Archive (CLEA) is a repository of detailed election results at the constituency level for lower house legislative elections from around the world. Our motivation is to preserve and consolidate these valuable data in one comprehensive and reliable resource that is ready for analysis and publicly available at no cost. This public good is expected to be of use to a range of audiences for research, education, and policy-making.
CLEA was selected to receive the 2012 Lijphart/Przeworski/Verba Data Set Award for the best data set in comparative politics.
- Ken Kollman
- Research Professor at the Center for Political Studies and Director of the International Institute. He is also the Frederick G. L. Huetwell Professor and Professor of Political Science at the University of Michigan. His research interests include political parties, elections, lobbying, federal systems, and formal modeling.
- Allen Hicken
- Research Associate Professor at the Center for Political Studies and Director of the Center for Southeast Asian Studies. He is also an Associate Professor in the Department of Political Science at the University of Michigan. His research interests include comparative political parties and party systems, political economy and political development.
- Daniele Caramani
- Chair of Comparative Politics at the Institute of Political Science, University of St. Gallen. He is also the Head of Department and Full Professor in the Department of Political Science, School of Economics and Political Science. His research interests include comparative politics with a focus on the European Union, historical sociology, and quantitative methodology.
- David Backer
- Research Associate Professor and Assistant Director of the Center for International Development and Conflict Management at the University of Maryland. He has specific expertise in African politics, political violence, authoritarian regimes, political development, and survey methodology.
- Jill Wittrock, Project Manager
- Center for Political Studies, Institute for Social Research, at the University of Michigan. She is an expert in comparative politics, electoral systems, quantitative and survey methodology, and data management and dissemination.
Ken Kollman, Allen Hicken, Daniele Caramani, and David Backer. Constituency-Level Elections Archive (CLEA; www.electiondataarchive.org), December 17, 2012 [dataset]. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan, Center for Political Studies [producer and distributor].
We are grateful to the following organizations for supporting the activities of CLEA:
- The American National Science Foundation under grants SES-1021915 and SES-0617101
- The Taiwan Foundation for Democracy
- Center for Political Studies, University of Michigan
- Center for Southeast Asian Studies, University of Michigan
We would also like to thank the many contributors who have provided election results, party information, and their time and expertise.